07 January, 2011

Can I Speak?


I am not a racist by any means, but I do get tired of being quiet about things that continually bother me.  My entire life I’ve gone trying to get supposedly ‘fair-minded’ people to understand black injustice.  They seem so damn understanding sometimes…but when it comes to black/white relations they rarely ever do.  I’ve encountered denial.  For example: “None of my family owned slaves.  What do you want me to do?”  I live in Texas and in all the time I’ve lived here and tried to get a Caucasian person to understand why blacks are how they are in society – I get the same response.  “Not me and not mine.  I never owned slaves and nor did my family”  Keep in mind, this is mere discusion at this point.  All you get is "get over it!"  "you're successful why do you care about civil rights" etc etc.   I live in Texas!  Somebody’s ancestors owned slaves...  If they don’t deny it, they definitely don’t want to hear anything about it. Worst of all I have encountered ANGER.  They either deny the blame or get really angry and defensive.   So…it’s ok for blacks to suffer  with disease and poverty TODAY due to the society that slave trade created…but it’s taboo to talk about and almost illegal to read about these days??  Give me a break!  It’s frustrating to say the least.  I have issues with this all the time.  I don’t even have any black friends – which is also disheartening – but the people I most often form bonds with are also the ones that sometimes understand me the least.  Over the past year I have changed a lot.  So many things that used to fulfill  or entertain me no longer do.  All of this came prior to any knowledge I’ve obtained through prayer and research.  Cutting my hair off came BEFORE my knowledge.  Giving up on people, places, and things that no longer fulfilled me was in the works way BEFORE I received knowledge.  I had no idea what was taking place until AFTER I began changing inside and outside.  Now I know, my eyes are very open.  Love spews from my heart, faith permeates my veins, and the message sounds from my mouth like a horn…and I can’t help it.  I just can’t help it.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment